Transition Without Ceremony
I kept thinking there had to be a cleaner explanation for what this was. . Something neat. Something surgical. One reason I could point at and say there. That is what did it. That is what hollowed the room out. That is what made the phone go quiet. That is what made life look the same and feel wrong.
But the truth is uglier than that. It does not arrive in one clean blade. It leaks in. It stains. It settles over a life until one day you realize the things that used to remind you who you were have gone dim.
That is the part people do not talk about.
Not vanity. Not needing applause. I mean the ordinary mirrors. Being a father in motion. Being the friend who showed up. Being useful. Being expected… Being part of somebody’s day. Those things reflected a version of me back to myself. Then the pattern broke. The calls thinned out. The routines changed. The access shifted. The world did not explode. It just stopped answering back.
And when that happens, the mind starts hunting. It wants a cause because uncertainty is acid. Maybe they heard things. Maybe they judged me. Maybe they reduced me to my worst years and called it truth. Maybe the silence means I am who they decided I was.
And for the naysayers, the quiet jurors, the ones who mistook a rough chapter for my final form, I have nothing dramatic to offer. No speech. No begging to be re-evaluated.. Let them keep their little conclusions. People love to stand over unfinished lives and call the wreckage a character report. It saves them from examining their own fractures. If they reduced me, that was their limitation, not my size. I have been broken, yes. Misread. Cornered. Diminished at times. But I was never counterfeit. Never hollow. Never theirs to define.
What I am really living through is not the death of self. It is identity transition without ceremony. The old self did not vanish. .. The old self lost scaffolding. The father is still in me. The loyal man is still in me. The authentic man is still in me. The problem is not that those things died. The problem is that life stopped giving them enough places to land.
So the answer is not some grand revelation. It is insultingly practical. Structure before philosophy. Movement before conclusion. Contact before rumination. Usefulness before mythology. Build a day. .. Build momentum. Build enough order that the mind stops mistaking a bad season for a final truth.
Because the real horror was never that I had changed.
The real horror was fearing I had changed into nothing.
I haven’t.... .

Comments
Post a Comment