​I Survived So Long I Forgot to Live


What happens when survival stops being a season and becomes your identity.


At some point, survival stopped being something I did.


It became who I was.


I learned how to endure bad years, bad decisions, empty pockets, broken relationships, and mornings that arrived without much reason to get out of bed.


I learned how to look functional while the wiring burned behind the walls.


I became good at staying alive.


Too good.


Because nobody warns you that survival can become another hiding place.


You start calling isolation peace.


You call fear patience.


You call procrastination preparation.


You call numbness maturity because admitting you have stopped feeling anything sounds too much like defeat.


So you make yourself smaller.


You stop expecting much.


You stop dreaming in complete sentences.


You tell yourself you are being realistic.


But sometimes realism is just fear wearing work boots.


Then one day, you look around and realize the emergency is over.


The doors are unlocked.


The road is open.


But you are still standing inside the burning building because the fire became familiar.


Chaos can feel like home when peace has always been a stranger.


That may be the hardest part.


I know how to crawl out of wreckage.


I am still learning how to walk into possibility.


Living asks more of me than surviving ever did.


It asks me to choose.


To risk embarrassment.


To begin badly.


To be seen trying.


To admit that my past may explain me without being allowed to own me.


I survived long enough.


Now I want to know what else I can do.


Maybe living begins there.


Not with courage.


Not with certainty.


Just one honest step taken before fear finishes its sentence.




Comments